Spicy Star Fruit and Shrimp Salad
I'm so delighted to have Chef Thashvin Muckatira of Siam Trading Co. Thai Kitchen and Bar share this lip-smacking recipe with us today. For those of you who think healthy cannot be tasty, this is proof that a marriage between the two can exist. I'm making this tonight for dinner, and you?
3 star fruit (carambola)
4-5 shrimp (medium)
1/2 red onion sliced
4 cherry tomatoes halved
2 tbsp mint leaves shredded
4 arugula leaves
A pinch toasted rice crushed
1 tbsp chilli paste
1 tsp palm sugar
2 tsp fish sauce
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp lime juice
A pinch chilli flakes
- Cut the star fruits along its centre and remove seeds.
- Then cut the star fruit into thin slices.
- Grill the shrimp till cooked. If you don't have a grill then the easiest way to cook shrimp it to first make sure the pan used is extremely hot. Spray a bit of oil on the pan and drop in the shrimps. Then put a dash of either white wine or brandy into the pan. Cook each side of the shrimp for no more than 1 minute and serve.
- In a bowl mix all the ingredients for the salad dressing
- Add remaining ingredients including the star fruit and the grilled shrimp and toss