5 Skincare Ingredients That Work
I’m always a bit suspicious about new discoveries in skincare. For me its always about ingredients that have been around and worked well for years. Sure, some plant stem cell may have shown results in 53% of women. But mostly these studies are done by the brands themselves, in a limited group of women, who are chosen by the cosmetic companies themselves. So when an advertisement quotes a percentage of improvement of tone, texture etc, etc, I just take it with a pinch of salt.
For me its all about the ingredients. Just remember that the top three ingredients on the label are in the highest concentration in any product. So if the label says for instance ‘with aloe vera extract’, and aloe is the eighth or ninth ingredient, chances are that such a minuscule amount will not make a difference. So, it’s not just the ingredient list, but the sequence in which they’re listed that will show you the efficacy of a product.
With that in mind, here are my favourites. Do note that I speak completely from personal experience:
- Vitamin C: Literally my favourite ingredient. I have used it for a decade now and I’m convinced it’s the reason that I haven’t developed any sort of patchiness or pigmentation. Plus, it makes my skin GLOW.
Kiehl’s Powerful Strength Line Reducing Concentrate
- Squalene: So, so, so good if your skin is rough, red and dry. It strengthens and protects the skin’s barrier, resulting in a complexion that looks moist and radiant. It’s mostly derived from shark liver or olive oil, but it’s great to add lipids to oiliest skins as well.
La Solution 10 de Chanel
- Hyaluronic Acid: Let me just put it this way - one gram of hyaluronic acid can hold six litres of water! So this single product can enhance moisture levels more than any other ingredient. You can use it by itself or under moisturiser to boost its power.
Bobbi Brown Remedies Skin Moisture Solution
- Peptides: I’m not a big fan of retinol, which is considered to be the ultimate collagen booster. A peptide product works much better in toning and tightening my skin. Every time I use peptides my skin looks plumper and pores look smaller.
MYM Advanced Derma Rolling Serum
- AHAs and BHAs: They can seriously change your life. Glycolic and salicylic acids remove dead skin, refine pores, reduce blackheads, prevent breakouts, reduce lines, and add radiance. What more does a girl want?
Peter Thomas Roth Max Complexion Correction Pads
Lead image: Shutterstock