Anuska's Multigrain Gluten-Free Flat Bread
Flat breads are an acquired taste, gluten free breads even more so. But if you are allergic to gluten or wish to be healthy, this recipe is wonderful because it combines all local ingredients. Anuska is a big believer in eating what is locally available so all the grains used in this bread are grown and sourced around Delhi.
Time: 2 hours
1 hour (if you are in rush)
100gm corn flour
150gm rice flour
100gm jowar (sorghum) flour
1/2 teaspoon fresh yeast (dry if you can't find fresh)
Tsp of balsamic vinegar
Tsp of honey
1/2 tsp of salt (preferably crushed Himalayan salt)
3 tsps olive oil
Lukewarm water for kneading
- Take a large bowl and mix all flours together. If you have time, it would be great to sieve them together. Pour olive oil on top.
- Mix 300ml of luke warm water, yeast, honey, salt and vinegar until yeast and honey is dissolve completely.
- Your hands and nails should be very clean (with no fragrance of your soap or perfume on them).
- Now comes the best part: Pour the mixed liquid over the flour, start kneading (or mixing with spoon). Once in a life time try kneeding, it will keep relax you - I promise you that!
- Your dough should be ready once it's smooth and 'falls of your hands’. It should not be as hard as roti dough (see the picture).
- Once ready leave the dough to sit for 1 hour (cover the bowl with kitchen towel).
- If you don't have time, bake straight away - after all you did your best!
- Preheat the oven on 250°.
- Spread a few drops of olive oil on a baking tray to each corner. If you are baking first time, do use baking paper.
- Pour your dough and create the shape with your hand (or spoon). You can put few drops of oil on your hand or bit of flour, so it does not stick.
- You can cut bread into half, if you wish.
- Bake for 5 min on 250° and then on 200°, for 20 -25 min as it is flat bread and does not take much time to bake.
- If you feel you need to bake it bit longer, go ahead, but don't burn it. There is no right or wrong in the kitchen, as long as you’re enjoying the process.
- Serve with smile, nice pesto, honey, or salad :).